Friday, March 20, 2009

Really, Dorothy?

How do you know you're a parent? When you notice the Windows "I'm-a-PC-and-I'm-Four-and-a-half" little girl has a goldfish named Dorothy.

.......... which is Elmo's goldfish's name, in case you didn't know that.

A year ago, I wouldn't have thought I'd be okay with Elmo. He's the most annoying character on Sesame Street. He also happens to be the object of Halle's television fascination. She's just too darn cute when she dances! So I was looking up more Elmo videos on Half.com, the best place to find inexpensive movies and books and more (you're welcome, eBay) and found 221 matches for "Elmo" on the movie search. That was after I discovered the plethora of Elmo media - even CDs and games! I'm confident the buck does not stop there.

221? Really?

Not all of them are Sesame Street's Elmo. Actually, only 62 of them are. What am I saying, only 62? For a simple red muppet living in a crayon world, it's a hell of a franchise.On a funnier note, Sesame Street has come out with a "Potty Time with Elmo" book that coaches kids along their bathroom experience with statements like:

Uh oh! Who has to go?

Apparently, some defective books have circulated containing audio files that sound very different. Looks like someone in the industry enjoyed a little bit of audio tweaking! More than a handful of parents have complained about hearing this:

Uh oh! Who wants to die?

Of any voice to make this statement, Elmo's would be my last choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment