Thursday, July 23, 2009

Just Trying to Fatten You Up, My Pretty


It's not so much a weight thing as it is a nutrition thing now. Brad and I have been taking the easy way out and caving to Halle's trusted mealtime stand-by's for too long. It's gotten to the point where I have to call to her for another bite while she plays on the floor. As in, not in her high chair. So I did some research.

Not only did I find out that toddlers typically eat less than three meals a day, I found out that it's not the end of the world if she skips a meal. In fact, most toddlers should be eating a good breakfast, an "okay" lunch, and most will ignore 99% of the food on their plates at dinnertime. Oh, AND that nutritious snacks should be given on a consistent, non-grazing schedule. My world is shaking!

I also think I've been expecting too much of her at each meal time. A toddler's serving size is 1tbs per year of age or 1/4 of an adult serving per year of age. Wow. There's a lot of conflicting information out there, though. I think the average children's nutrition source will site the AAP, which has unrealistic expectations of toddlers AND parents of sci-fi proportions.

All that being said - does anyone have any meal ideas for me? Halle will not be fed from a spoon at this point, despises green things, and my blender doesn't work so well (so no, I can't puree things and hide them in sauces).

No comments:

Post a Comment