Friday, March 5, 2010

Holi, Festival of Colors

Alternate title: "How I'd Rather Have Spent Last Monday"

Every year I tell myself, "you are GOING to get a flu shot next year!" and then I put it off until guess what? I get the flu. Well, I got the flu. For the second time this year. Halle got her flu shot months ago and luckily got away with just a cold.

But you know what? It's been a rough couple of weeks for a lot of us, I think. Brad's grandmother suffered an injury last week and is in need of your prayers. What with the earthquakes in Haiti, Argentina and Chile, talk of tsunamis, the global economy unraveling like a sweater in a Weezer song... we're all in need of a little peace and sunshine.

Allow me to hippie out here in this post. Sometimes I just can't help it.*

From Boston.com: Last Monday (March 1st), people in India and other countries with large Hindu populations celebrated Holi, the Festival of Colors. A welcoming of Spring, Holi is celebrated as the triumph of good over evil. Hindu devotees and others enthusiastically drop their inhibitions, and chase each other in temples and through the streets, playfully splashing colorful paint, powder and water on each other. People also attend bonfires to commemorate the story of Prahlada, a Hindu figure and devout follower of Lord Vishnu who prevailed over his father and the demoness Holika with the power of his devotion.






And I thought Woodstock looked like fun!

A fantastic slideshow from a previous Holi.

A short bit from BBC News about how Holi brings families and communities together.

No comments:

Post a Comment